Well I just realized I have done a horrible job keeping up my cosplay blog and have many completed costumes to share so today I am making it a goal to start getting this page updated. I left off with progress of Rydia (Final Fantasy iv) which I wore last year to A-kon 26.
As I probably stated in my previous post, the fabric for the corset, arm pieces, and belt pieces were all constructed from an old prom dress that I found at the $2 goodwill. As always, working on a budget while still making things look good is my goal, along with putting my own personal touch on each character. Corset is made with steel boning, and lined with heavy twill. Each star is hand made by cutting out fabric stars and gluing thousands of tiny tiny gold balls/beads) and then lining with gold trim. All the beads on this costume are hand painted gold.
Follow my cosplay page for more of my work and progress pics:
Pics 1-5 photography by Patrick DT and last set by Lauren Koehler.
I have such a long list of characters that I want to cosplay and it is always hard for me to come to a conclusion on which one I want to bring to life, so I came up with a method to help me make my decision easier. One of the things I hate doing is choosing a character and getting so stressed because I can’t find the perfect fabric or the things I need so since I already have a large stock of fabrics and supplies to work with, I use that as a guide to which character I will choose.
One of the characters I have been wanting to do for a long time is Rydia from Final Fantasy. I always loved seeing other’s different interpretations of her and have long been inspired to do my own. When digging through my stash of fabrics, all kind of ideas starting coming to mind. I happened to come across an old green prom dress that I had bought from the $2 goodwill and although it isn’t quite the green I wish it was, I decided to use it anyway. Since I am an artist for a living and don’t have a lot of spare money, I tend to always improvise and use what I have on hand.
So far all I have completed are the corset and the belt. All the stars are individually cut out, painted, and then I added gold beads, and gold wire trim around the ends, then attached to the top. I then made all the smaller stars and adorned them with jewels. I still have a lot more beading that I plan to add to it. I still have quite some time until my next convention so I will just work on it as I have spare time available. I wanted to get a head start on my A-kon/Mechacon costumes.. I have learned over the years that waiting until the last minute is too stressful on me so I am doing my best to avoid that. More pics of progress coming soon.