Forest Fairy costume Wip

This coming weekend is Texas Renaissance Festival 1001 dreams so I have been working on a fairy costume, something I have been wanting to do for a while.  I didn’t have much money to spend on this costume so the entire thing is made of scrap fabric, green tulle and old clothing  that I cut up. The shoes are also some old shoes that I just painted and added flowers and tulle.  I think the only thing I spent money on was the wig, which is from Arda wigs. Also this is my first time making fairy wings and although I was a bit frustrated and had to rip them up several times, I am feeling a little more confident about the way they turned out.

Everything is original design for this costume.

Feel free to follow me on my costume page: https://www.facebook.com/WildFlowerCosplay?ref=hl

Artwork of Sakizou Mermaid Cosplay

Wow! I just realized how really bad I have been about keeping up this blog. I guess its time to update with some of my new costumes (all of them by the artworks of the wonderful artist Sakizou)

This one is my mermaid costume from the artworks of Sakizou, worn at A-kon 25 in Dallas, TX. I won “Most Creative Award” for the hall cosplay contest! Everything is made by me and created on a very low budget. My goal was to not spend much money and use only things I had already on hand, finding ways to improvise so that it was close to the original as possible. In the end, the only thing I bought was the wig, and the gold fabric for the bottom of the fin. I do admit I did stray away a bit from the original design particularly on the hair, the fins at the bottom, a slight change in the overall colors as well as a few minor details that were left out. However, I am not a cosplayer that believes in complete accuracy and I do not believe their is anything wrong with doing your own interpretation of a character.

Overall, the tail is made of about 200 scales, all hand cut and individually painted….it took such a long time and patience but so rewarding in the end.

I still need to get some better photos but in the meantime here are a few:

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sakizou Mermaid

I love the artist Sakizou and she has far too many costumes that I wanted to choose from however when I came across this one  I had an instant vision on how I wanted to go about constructing this. I just love the colors plus I have been wanting to do a mermaid inspired costume for some time now.

sakizo cosplay

As I said in my earlier post, I am trying to buy as little as possible for this costume and use things I already have. I find it makes things not only challenging but opens my mind up to new methods and ideas. It forces myself to be more creative and resourceful. So far I lucked out and haven’t bought a thing.Also as stated, this costume is not going to be accurate to the picture. I am doing my own interpretation of it so there are  things that  may be slightly altered.

For the neck, arm  and belt piece, I found  some old brown faux leather that I had used for a past steampunk costume and painted it purple.  I hand painted all the trim gold as well. For the waist buckle thing (not sure what to call it) I simply used eva foam  covered in multiple layers of polyurethane (so that the paint would slide on nicely) and layered pieces to make it dimensional. I then added some lace which I cut out and painted gold. I then  found an old piece of  costume jewelry and added it to the center.  I used rub n buff (which is one of my favorite products to use) for the costume jewelry  b/c it was silver and then painted the center pink.

sakizou mermaid wipIMG_7176

My favorite part so far is the neckpiece. I was going to buy some fishing net to use however I got lucky and came across an old purple shirt that seemed perfect. I cut out the desired shape and then painted it gold (yes lots of painting going on in this costume). Then I just simply added some jewels on it and attached it to the choker.

IMG_7164 IMG_7158

wip costume

I am now starting to brainstorm the headpiece (I love headpieces by the way) which I have begun by putting brown beads  on numerous pieces of cut wire. As with the rest of the costume, I used gold rub n buff to change the color. This is all I have so far but hope to have some more progress very soon. As for now I must get back to my little world of dolls. For those of you who don’t know…I am also a doll maker. If you are interested feel free to check out my work here.