A-kon 24 is less than 3 weeks away and for the first time EVER I am not behind on my costume. I am so used to working until late night before the con, and in some cases, in the hotel AT the con. Yes, I admit I am a last minute person and although sometimes I find myself working better under the pressure, I have learned from last years stress that it just isn’t worth it. I also picked a much easier costume this time due to time constraints and lack of money.
The pirate girl costume I am working on is by an artist named Shunya Yamashita. You will hear me mention him a lot because I LOVE his art. I have already cosplayed several of his characters and have several more planned for future cons. His work is amazing and I recommend checking him out if you haven’t heard of him.
First thing I made on this costume was the corset. I used a black and white dull satin, and the corset is completely lined, interfaced and boned. I still need to add the pink bow on the front as well as the lace on the top and add the brass grommets on the back. For the jacket I used a gabardine and although I did use a bolero pattern I had to modify it by adding the collar as well as changing the sleeves so that they were more full. I absolutely HATE sewing in sleeves and the fact that I had to enlarge them made it much more annoying. I also made all the binding as well. The hat I am still a bit unhappy with but it is going to have to do. I don’t feel like losing my sanity by making another. I still need to add the ostrich plume (which needs to be dyed).
The armor is made of worbla, similar to wonderflex but seems to work better on curved surfaces, in my opinion. The worbla was shaped over a pair of bra cups that I cut up and bent to the correct shape. I am still in the process of doing layers of gesso before I can sand and paint it.
I admit I was a bit worried about making the boots for this costume due to their different lengths. At first I was going to just buy a pair of brown boots however I lucked out when I found the perfect piece of leftover leather at the fabric store. Unfortunately their was exactly a yard left so I knew their was no room for error when making them. They are still a work in progress but so far I am happy with how they are turning out.